As the Covid-19 pandemic continues to evolve and the world is forced into a standstill, the entire travel industry is faced with unprecedented conditions. To help travellers navigate through these uncertain and confusing times, Expedia has expanded its Global Hotel Cancellation Waiver Program and has implemented self-service tools, making it easier for Kiwis to cancel or change their plans.
For Kiwis with upcoming travel, we have implemented the following measures to make trip changes and cancellations as simple as possible: Hotel bookings (non-package/bundle):
- Customers who booked a non-refundable rate prior to 19 March 2020, with stay dates between 20 March 2020 and 30 April 2020, will have the option to cancel their booking and be eligible for either a full refund or a one-year travel voucher. Customers must cancel their booking at least 24-hours before check-in in order to be eligible.
- For customers who booked a non-refundable rate for stays after 30 April 2020, with the situation continuing to evolve, Expedia will continue to work with travel partners as necessary to implement flexible policies. Customers should stay up to date and review the Expedia Customer Support Portal closer to their departure date for the latest policies.
- For customers who have booked a refundable rate, please visit the Expedia Customer Support Portal to change or cancel their booking. TIP: Make sure to reference the Expedia Itinerary Number and not the airline or hotel confirmation code.
- For customers whose accommodation plans have already been impaired by COVID-19 and whose travel date has passed, Expedia wants to assure these customers that we are working to attend to their needs as well.
- Due to the unprecedented volume of travel disruptions, any applicable refunds and credits may take up to 30 days to process.
- Flight bookings (non-package/bundle):
- For flight bookings scheduled to depart before the end of April 2020, customers should have received an email from Expedia or will receive one closer to the departure date to ask if travellers wish to keep or cancel their booking.
- If the customer’s flight is scheduled to depart before 30 April 2020, the customer can cancel their upcoming flights at no penalty and will receive a credit with the airline that can be redeemed for future travel. Terms and conditions of credit for each specific carrier will apply. Customers are encouraged to use Expedia’s new self-service tools to make it easier to manage their trip, visit the Expedia Customer Support Portal for more information.
- For customers with a flight booking on a low-cost ariline, Expedia is unable to facilitate any changes or cancellations. Please refer to the Expedia Customer Support Portal for a list of low-cost carrier airlines and follow the guidance on the airline’s website to make any changes.
- If the airline has cancelled your flight, Expedia is working through these bookings with their airline partners to issue credits where applicable and will be in touch.
- For customers whose flights have already been impaired by COVID-19 and whose travel date has passed, Expedia wants to assure these customers they are working with their partners to attend to their needs.
- For customers who have booked a package, each component of that holiday package needs to be cancelled separately and the Expedia Customer Support Portal has the latest travel information and instructions on how to service each part of their holiday package. Expedia are also contacting customers who are due to travel imminently to give them information on options to cancel their upcoming package bookings.
- For customers who have booked a holiday rental and the confirmation number begins with HA, please visit the Coronavirus vacation rental page.
- For all other holiday rentals, customers can access their booking from the My Trips page and follow the instructions to cancel.
- In these critical moments, Expedia’s focus is to help customers with immediate travel. If travel is not within the time period outlined on the Expedia Customer Support Portal, we encourage travellers to first visit the following resources that will help them change or cancel travel plans themselves where possible:
- Expedia Coronavirus Travel Advice FAQ – For answers to some of the most asked COVID-19 traveller questions including steps to plan future trips.
- Expedia Customer Support Portal – For our most up to date travel advisories and information on cancellations and refund options available from Expedia including our self-service Cancellation Requests form.